Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Apple Turnovers and Cornbread

Today, we went over to the family's house for New Years Day.  My Aunt Ann prepared a very nice meal, complete with black eyed peas, turnip greens, bbq, homemade apple turnovers and beautiful cornbread muffins.  I, of course, could not partake in all of her special offerings but it was extremely difficult.  The apple turnovers starred at me, almost willing me to take a bite out of their sweet goodness.  But, alas!  I did not succomb to those perfect little pastries.  Those pastries have a special meaning to me.  My grandmother (on the Stewart side) used to make these for family get togethers and people would literally fight over the last one. So, turning them down was as much an emotional victory as a physical one.  Day three and I'm still on the band wagon.  I just finished my sugar-free jello and homemade whipped cream concoction, definitely no chocolate cake but it'll do.  For now. 

No comments: